Sunday, June 20, 2010

Meaningful Work

Michelle's Post

This week I complained to some of my friends about having a hard week, being burnt out, being homesick, etc....I knew I needed an attitude adjustment, but I just didn't know how to get there. All I knew was that something had to change, or else I would not last much longer. 

My main complaint was that I've been working long hours in an office setting, helping to write long term strategic HR goals, as well as doing the tasks needed to reach those goals. I rarely leave the organization compound, except for a few morning runs. I've committed to Philanjalo to work full time this summer and postpone my community projects due to the hiring demands of the research group, as well as urgent retention issues necessitating an equitable compensation plan. What I hadn't realized was that by spending all my time in the office I would be neglecting two major reasons for joining the Peace Corps – Cultural Integration and Personal Growth. I've been focusing all my time and attention on just one reason – Conduct Meaningful Work. Woes me. 

Staying focused on the big picture while being a Peace Corps Volunteer is a difficult task. We're required to constantly reexamine our desire to be here. Sometimes it's hard to remember why we're sacrificing two years of our lives, why we left our family and friends and comforts of home to live in a foreign land, removed from everything familiar. 

This morning, I remembered - The Opportunity to do Meaningful Work. It's the number one reason why I'm here. When making the decision to apply, I knew that by being an older adult I would have more skills to share, more emotional maturity to understand differences.  Yes, I work long hours, and yes, I'm often stuck behind a computer for most of my day. But, I'm the only person in my organization who has practical experience in Human Resources. I am being offered the opportunity to actually make a difference in people's lives. 

Today, I realized it isn't about me. It's about the HIV/AIDS & TB infected patients I walk by every single day as I head into my office. They need compassionate and experienced staff taking care of them. It's about the unique and world class research being done at Philanjalo. The work requires smart, dedicated, and experienced staff. It's about the patient at home, waiting for the Home Based Care Professional Nurse to bring medication to alleviate their pain. It isn't about me.   The other stuff, Cultural Integration, Personal Growth and last, but not least, Travel, will all come in time.

In the meantime, I am one of the luckiest people I know. I get to do meaningful work in Africa.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes it's hard to remember why we're sacrificing two years of our lives, why we left our family and friends and comforts of home to live in a foreign land, removed from everything familiar"

This is SO true. There are some times when that happens to me. This week was difficult, as I have decided that I need to say NO to a coworker who is also a friend. Said coworker wanted me to burn a DVD for him and NOT burn one, if asked, for my supervisor. This is insubordination and unethical from a Western point of view. I had a moment of " Why the hell am I doing this?" then I realized it wasn't about this moment, but the bigger picture that I am filling a much needed gap here in Greytown, and that my goal to do meaningful and sustainable work in Africa is part of that.. warts and all.

Holly B-Jones said...

Thanks, Michelle and Chuck, for you volunteering 2 years of your life to help others. I have a feeling that they will "help" you too.

I look forward to living vicariously through your blogs and wonderful pictures. And I look forward to helping you with your meaningful work.

Katey said...

Good for you Michelle. Here's hoping for many more moments and days like the one you just had. THAT is the reason you are there, and that is what is making it all worth it. I have no doubt, you'll look back at all this with no regrets, and what you'll learn will be immeasurable.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, seems to me that you're selling yourself a little short in the "personal growth" department. This was a rather brave post -- at least, I think so.

Thanks for keeping this blog -- we all benefit from learning about the lives of those whose circumstances are so different from ours. You've moved way beyond that, though, in that you're willing to upend your own lives in order to make a difference in theirs. That's the sort of thing people never forget.