Monday, July 28, 2008

South Dakota photos

July 27th


After some technical problems with my laptop, and not enough down time, our blog is moving ahead very slowly. Due to continuing vehicle issues, we have a bit of spare time in Glennallen, AK to update our blog. It's Sunday in Glennallen, which means there is nothing to do. We slept until 10:30 out of sheer boredom. Glennallen is a "hub" town where 4 different highways converge, thereby giving it reason to exist. 5 Churches, 0 pubs.

As much as we love our van (it really is a cozy way to travel) she is truly frustrating us. At some point in Canada we fueled up with bad gasoline. We've had the tank emptied twice, but apparently there is still water in the tank. Whenever we drive over bumpy roads (Much of Alaska is bumpy) water enters the fuel line and dampens the fuel filter, which kills the car. So, we're stuck here until Monday when we can order a handful of new fuel filters to have on hand for the next leg of our road trip. We have a 2-3 day drive to Skagway, and at the rate we're going , we should be there by Christmas.

Since we have been delinquent in updating our blog, I'll just add photos of our trip so far. The captions will tell the story.
Since my family was not big on road trips, and since I grew up in California, I missed out on every Midwesterner's family trip to the Dakotas! So Captain Scabby,Sherpa Dog and I set out to see "the sights"
Mt. Rushmore
Sherpa Dog in The Badlands
Chuck (Captain Scabby) at Custer State Park in the Blackhills, The Corn Palace and at the famous Wall Drug. I had to drag Scabby there, but he had a good time, even though he won't admit it.


No comments: