Thursday, July 31, 2008

And we're off!

We can finally see the light is finally at the end of the tunnel. As I write Vanna in on a hoist, getting herself all fixed. We discovered that a small intake tank, located behind our driver's side front tire was not properly sealed. Which means that we collected rain water and road silt with each mile on the road.


Our fellow camper, Derk, who was also stuck in "nothing to do but go to church" Glennallen. We shared a pizza and a couple of beers at the bar outside of town. Our new German friend has been cycling through Alaska for 2 weeks. This trip has taught him that all Americans aren't the humourless, greedy conservatives we're known for being in Germany.

As we headed out of Glennallen towards Tok, a short 120 mile drive, our Van finally decided enough was enough. It took us 7 hours to gain 75 miles. We met lots of nice folks along the way, as we sputtered on the side of the road. A very kind and patient Canadian stopped to see what he could do. I was a little embarrassed that he made a comment on how much luggage we were traveling with.

We ended up spending the night at a lodge in Mantasta. Initially we stopped for 1 beer after changing our 5th fuel filter. However, we got sucked into drinking with 2 motor cyclists and the bar tender (and then staying the night in the motel). Boy, what an experience that turned out to be. Chuck and I held our ground as the liberal Democrats against 3 arch conservatives. Actually, the bar tender was a nut case. He kept giving us all shots, which Chuck refused to drink. So, I had to drink them for the team so as not to offend the crazy bartender. (Chuck's decision). After 2 shots, 2 mixed drinks, and 2 beers I was a little toasted, needless to say. I ended up storming out of the bar after the loony said that he wished that the bombers has bombed Madison and killed all my friends, then I'd understand why we went to Iraq. Such anger! Oh, he also wants to add to his already huge arsenal to start a revolution and kill all the politicians in DC.

It's 5:30, and my hang over is finally gone.









1 comment:

Katey said...

Poor Vanna....she's having a rough trip this time, huh?